Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Here we go ...

I just watched Obama take the oath of office.

It's gonna be a long four years, y'all.

Here's my thing. Regardless of whether or not I voted for him ... and for the record, I DID NOT VOTE FOR HIM ... it's historic. I can appreciate the fact that he's the first black President and all that, which is why I'm currently skipping class and watching the inauguration on TV in my room. I like thinking about my grandchildren someday learning about this in school and the fact that I'll be able to tell them things like, that was the first Presidential election I voted in, I remember watching the election results and the inauguration in my dorm, those kinds of things. That's cool. So even though I didn't want him to win, I dig that.

I hate how this whole thing has centered so much on race, though. That really bugs me. I actually have some really very decided opinions on that subject in particular, but I won't get on my soapbox. I hate it when people talk out of both sides of their mouth, begging for people to be blind to race but constantly bringing it up. I would be glad to ignore people's skin color altogether if they'd let me.

I also don't like how everyone's soooo excited over Obama's election. I mean yeah, you can get excited, but some are really acting like Jesus has come back or something. I just don't like seeing that because he's only been President for about 30 minutes now - point being, he hasn't had a chance to do anything yet. Chill, people. Let him prove how great he is.

I just don't trust the man at this point, which is why I didn't vote for him. I mean yes, he is liberal and I'm conservative and therefore I didn't agree with his platform, but I wouldn't hesitate to vote for a Democrat if I felt he or she was the better choice and I trusted them. I don't know why, but I don't trust him now. I hope he ends up doing a great job and has earned my trust by the time his term is over. If that happens, praise God and I'm glad to be an American. All I'm saying is, I have my reservations now.

Either way, it's going to be a long four years and I'm going to be paying very close attention. During Obama's time in office I'll be going to grad school, maybe starting my career and family. Who could blame me for being a little nervous?

3 comments:

  1. okay, NOW i feel old..that last paragraph. *head desk*

    and as for our discussions, especially yesterday over IM, i'm glad we're on the same page. we're just so great at solving the world's problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. first let me just say that I am uber jealous you got to watch the inauguration. I couldn't get it over here and I'm dying. I so wanted to feel a part of this historic day and I really don't at all. ugh.

    and since I voted for Obama and know that we have differing opinions, I'm just going to stop talking now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Let the whites know what's right?"

    That really put a damper on my mood about historic the event was. I mean...not all of us white folks even look at race.

    ReplyDelete